Monday, May 9, 2011

Lady Gaga's "Judas" - Too Far? (Part One)

Lady Gaga's new song, "Judas" was turning heads before the music video even came out - but with these lyrics, who could look away?

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Judas! Juda-as Judas! Juda-as
Judas! Juda-as Judas! GAGA

When he comes to me, I am ready
I'll wash his feet with my hair if he needs
Forgive him when his tongue lies through his brain
Even after three times, he betrays me

I'll bring him down, bring him down, down
A king with no crown, king with no crown

I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Judas! Juda-as Judas! Juda-as
Judas! Juda-as Judas! GAGA
I couldn't love a man so purely
Even prophets forgave his crooked way
I've learned love is like a brick you can
Build a house or sink a dead body
I'll bring him down, bring him down, down
A king with no crown, king with no crown
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

In the most Biblical sense,
I am beyond repentance
Fame hooker, prostitute wench, vomits her mind
But in the cultural sense
I just speak in future tense
Judas kiss me if offenced,
Or wear an ear condom next time

I wanna love you,
But something's pulling me away from you
Jesus is my virtue,
And Judas is the demon I cling to
I cling to

I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby
I'm just a Holy Fool, oh baby he's so cruel
But still I'm in love with Judas, baby

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Ohohohoh
I'm in love with Judas, Judas

Judas! Juda-as Judas! Juda-as
Judas! Juda-as Judas! GAGA
 
According to the blog, Wizbang Pop!, we should all be offended by this new song (which, by the way, I fell even DEEPER in love with after I saw the music video!) for a number of reasons. From Wizbang Pop!'s article; 
Exhibit 2:
The song is more self-serving than it is offensive pontification. It’s clear from the lyrics that Lady Gaga knows the story of Judas—who was the apostle that betrayed Jesus and handed him over to the Jewish authorities, culminating in his Christ’s death. However, the song as a whole isn’t about Judas at all–it’s about Lady Gaga. Although the first verse clearly establishes that Gaga (Can you call someone by their last name if that last name is made up?) is in love with a Judas-type person–perhaps a former lover or backstabbing friend. But the rest of the lyrics seem to focus on Gaga’s lame obsession with a person who lies to her and treats her badly. 

Exhibit 3:
Lastly, if there was any doubt that the song wasn’t some type of anti-Christian rant, why does she throw in this lyric at the end of the bridge?:
Jesus is my virtue
Judas is the demon I cling to

Clearly, the song isn’t about loving Judas more than God. In fact, in this lyric, she affirms her Christian belief, acknowledging Christ as her redeemer and calling Judas a demon. She’s just complaining that she can’t rip herself away from an obviously destructive relationship. *sheds an ironic tear*
Well at least they don't beat around the bush at all! I for one totally disagree with their reasoning... and they haven't even gotten into the religious bit yet! So let's tackle their reasoning, shall we?

  • As for exhibit 2. Sure, it's a "self-serving" song. So what if Lady Gaga used the story of Judas to explain how she feels about her life? I see nowhere in the song that Gaga is "lamely" obsessed with a former, violent lover. Sometimes we are drawn to people we have a violent past with. Perhaps the only people who can fully appricate the lyrics to this song are those who have had a stuggle of the same kind.
  • Exhibit 3 - well. Did the blogger ever consider that perhaps this song is about Gaga's stuggle with God (as she was raised a Catholic)? I know sometimes I yearn to be closer to God, but the sins of the world pull me away. Remember that Judas betrayed Jesus for silver - money. If money isn't a sin of the world, tell me what is?
The point is, from my (Catholic) standpoint, I love the lyrics to the song. And according to Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic Leauge, " if anyone thinks the Catholic League is going to go ballistic over Lady Gaga’s latest contribution, they haven’t a clue about what really constitutes anti-Catholicism."

Stay tuned for part two - where I'll attempt to pick apart the video!

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Followers